riverine terrarium experiment

As I make plans to build out a stream vivarium for our A. barbotini (“Purple Toads”), I wanted to experiment with different rocks to see what materials I can work with to best simulate a running stream. I decided to use a variety of sorted sizes of slate commonly used in the scale train model industry. I purchased several sizes and use them in a hardscape for my wife’s office terrarium. These are shots of the 10 gallon experimental build:

I was pleased with the way this worked out, and with the different grades of fragment sizes available. I decided to give these rocks a go in the stream build.

Back to the main dart frogs page at oneillscrossing.com